- 07-Feb-2017 to 15-May-2017 (CST)
- Parks & Recreation
- MO, USA
CITY OF RICHMOND HEIGHTS
POSITION TITLE: Day Camp Counselor
REPORTS TO: Recreation Manager, Camp Director
SUPERVISES: MVP Volunteers
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
POSITION SUMMARY: Responsible for the day to day activities of a group of school age children participating in the day camp program; submits and follows a daily lesson plan; plans and leads a variety of games, crafts, songs and activities related to a theme week; follows directions of camp director; works with other staff members in organizing all camp special events; maintains a safe atmosphere; and communicates effectively with parents, staff, volunteers and director.
FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB
1. Knows, understands and enforces rules and regulations governing day camp procedures, facility use and the facility emergency procedures.
2. Plans a variety of programs and activities based on the theme week.
3. Submits a lesson plan to the director on a weekly basis.
4. Communicates effectively with campers, parents, staff, volunteers and director.
5. Disciplines campers in a fair and effective manner.
6. Maintains all camp equipment and supplies utilized in a day of activities.
7. Knows whereabouts of campers at all times.
8. Administers first aid.
9. Submits all forms and paperwork as required in a timely and efficient manner.
10. Maintains camp areas in a clean and organized manner.
11. Informs supervisor of all information regarding the facility, staff and campers.
12. Notifies supervisor of supply needs or equipment repair.
13. Attends all staff meetings and training as required.
14. Assist in setups and cleanup as needed.
15. Escorts all field trips maintaining a safe atmosphere.
1. Performs special projects and tasks as assigned by the supervisor.
2. Assists facility staff as needed to provide room set ups or maintenance.
Physical/Visual Activities or Demands: Physical/visual activities or demands that are commonly associated with the performance of this job.
1. Sitting, talking, hearing, walking.
2. Concentrated mental and visual attention with normal hand – eye coordination required.
3. Clarity of vision at 20 inches – corrected or uncorrected.
4. Occasional moving of 1 to 60 lb. items.
Environmental/Atmospheric Conditions: Environmental and atmospheric conditions commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job.
Normal facility conditions with some exposure to hot and humid weather.
POSITION QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
Education: Currently enrolled or have graduated from high school or GED program.
Experience: Camp experience preferred.
Skills and Abilities which may be representative but not all inclusive of those commonly associated with this position.
1. Must maintain proper appearance and behavior.
2. Ability to work effectively with supervisors, co-workers, children and public.
3. Ability to plan and lead games, crafts, songs and activities.
4. Ability to function efficiently under stress related factors consistent with the position.
5. Ability to work days.
6. Must be able to supervise a large group of 10-15 children, providing a safe, disciplined, and fun atmosphere.
7. Must be able to communicate effectively in oral and written form.
License(s)/Certification(s) Required: None.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees may be required to follow other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties as requested, subject to all applicable state and federal laws.
Certain job functions described herein may be subject to possible modification in accordance with applicable state and federal laws.
"Commonly associated: is not intended to mean always or only. There are different experiences that suggest other ways or circumstances where reasonable changes or accommodations are appropriate.