- 09-Jan-2017 to 31-May-2017 (CST)
- Parks & Recreation
- Richmond Heights, MO, USA
- Part Time
CITY OF RICHMOND HEIGHTS
POSITION TITLE: Lifeguard / Lesson Instructor
REPORTS TO: Aquatic Specialist, Aquatic Assistant, Pool Manager, Assistant Pool Manager, Head Lifeguard
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
POSITION SUMMARY: To insure the good will of pool patrons by maintaining a safe aquatic atmosphere through the implementation of proactive water safety programming.
FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB
- Knows, understands and enforce rules and regulations governing the conduct of pool patrons and facility emergency procedures.
- Follows the American Red Cross Waterpark Lifeguard Training, Lifeguarding First Aid, CPR for the Professional Rescuer with AED, Preventing Disease Transmission, and Oxygen Administration and established emergency procedures in emergency situations.
- Plans and instructs American Red Cross swim lessons and assists with Special Event Programs.
- Assists in maintenance and cleaning of the pool, pool deck, locker rooms, showers, restrooms, and other areas as directed by the aquatic supervisor or assistant pool manager.
- Responds to the public needs in a courteous manner and report comments/complaints regarding to physical facility, staff or general public to supervisor.
- Administers first aid as needed.
- Attends all staff meetings and in-service trainings as required.
- Performs special projects and tasks as assigned by the Aquatic Facilities Manager.
- Assists other departments as needed to implement citywide activities.
Physical/Visual Activities or Demands: Physical/visual activities or demands that are commonly associated with the performance of this job.
- Sitting, talking, hearing, walking, swimming, smelling.
- Concentrated mental and visual attention with normal hand – eye coordination required.
- Clarity of vision at 20 inches – corrected or uncorrected.
- Occasional lifting and moving of 1 to 60 lb. items.
Environmental/Atmospheric Conditions: Environmental and atmospheric conditions commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job. Exposure to pool and cleaning chemicals, chemically treated water, with some exposure to varied weather conditions.
POSITION QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
Education: Currently enrolled or have graduated from high school or GED program.
Experience: Previous experience in competitive swimming, lifeguarding, or swim instructor preferred, but not required.
Skills and Abilities which may be representative but not all inclusive of those commonly associated with this position.
- Working knowledge of the principles and operating practices of maintaining pool chemistry, mechanical systems including pool pumps, filter, chlorinating and PH systems, and computerized chemical feed equipment.
- Good knowledge of equipment, materials and supplies required for specialized aquatic activities.
- Thorough knowledge in maintaining a safe working environment.
- Ability to work effectively with supervisors, co-workers and public.
- Ability to formulate and enforce rules, regulations, policies and procedures governing the facility.
- Ability to communicate effectively in written and oral form.
- Ability to work days, evenings and weekends.
Machines, Tools, Equipment and Work Aids which may be representative but not all inclusive of those commonly associated with this position.
Operation of pool pumps and filtration system, chlorinating systems, PH systems, computerized chemical feed equipment, pool vacuum and cleaning equipment. Ability to operate safety equipment, including rescue tube and backboard, resuscitator mask, oxygen tank, and AED (Automatic External Defibrillator).
License(s)/Certification(s) Required: Must possess a valid American Red Cross Lifeguard Training, Waterpark Module, Lifeguarding First Aid, CPR for the Professional Rescuer with Automatic External Defibrillator, and Preventing Disease Transmission. If you do not currently possess Red Cross Lifeguard Certification, there may be the opportunity to obtain certification through upcoming classes at THE HEIGHTS.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees may be required to follow other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties as requested, subject to all applicable state and federal laws.
Certain job functions described herein may be subject to possible modification in accordance with applicable state and federal laws.
"Commonly associated: is not intended to mean always or only. There are different experiences that suggest other ways or circumstances where reasonable changes or accommodations are appropriate.